This is my 500th post since my blog began in August 2007 – a milestone of sorts I guess. I almost missed it, having only noticed it today, so I’m sorry I was not sufficiently organised to do the usual give away, which seems to be the convention…….maybe when I hit 1000 posts! May I say though to those who read this blog, and there have been over 17,000 visitors during that time, that you are much appreciated – and particularly those who seem to visit despite a dearth of posts for the last week – there have been visitors staying, and other activities going on..
There are few benefits of getting on in years – the increasing aches and pains, physical changes, memory lapses, and so on are balanced out by the joy of one’s family and friends, a modicum of wisdom resulting from life’s experiences, and the freedom to do as one wishes most of the time. Today however, there was one which made me laugh – this week is Senior’s week in Victoria, and those with the appropriate card to prove one’s advancing years, were able to travel on public transport for free! The Mallee Man and I took advantage of this and went by train to Melbourne for the day, along with many other gray haired couples – it was the first time he had wandered the streets of Melbourne since he worked here in the 80’s, and probably the same length of time since he was on a train. It was a lovely day, and I bought a great tripod for the camera.
I have not been totally idle in the last few days – some stitching is happening, I am still working on various pieces for the Crewel course (photos later), have been following Jude’s Cloth to Cloth 2, but do not have much to show from that inspiring teacher, however I have been dyeing again. This wonderful old iron pot was found at a local market, and I was keen to try it out as the iron acts as a mordant, and changes the colours of the dye.
The bundle is an old woollen blanket, $5 from the Op shop, and originally checked with pink, blue and yellow. The first dye result was very dark, particularly in the areas which were on the outside and touching the pot.
I decided to do it a second and third time in Eucalyptus, with leaves inside the bundle, and using an aluminium pot. The iron colourings became more subtle, and the leaves inside made wonderful orange marks… the whole is slightly less orange and more brown than this photo which was taken in the late afternoon sunshine…….I plan to do a lot of kantha stitching on this, and embroider or patch the holes and edges – it hopefully will look good. ( My daughter thinks it looks like something a grotty hippy might wear – so I hope some stitching will change her mind!)
I have also been experimenting with other plant dyes…..these were done using dark red rhododendron flowers, which were bundled and steamed. Some of the colours look like dried blood – but some are quite pretty.
Such fun playing with all this, but now I need to use the fabric……….