I have done a little more dyeing…….having obtained some lovely purples by steaming fabric containing dark Helebore flowers, I thought I would try for some more, but simmering the flowers instead of steaming the bundle.. The flowers were fresh, the darkest I have, and the dyepot was started with rainwater and a little alum…just to see what would happen.
The results were surprising – most fabrics turned a pale avocado green, with the wool and silk being much darker than the cotton and linen and they did have a purple tinge in some lights. Interesting…….so much so, I did some more again today in the same dyepot, and I am going to leave it overning. The colours again were purple initially, but I guess could change once dry. These are the first lot of fabrics.
Today has been spent finishing some things I started a couple of weeks ago which incorporated a piece of broiderie perse. What do you think these might be?
They are storage rolls for keeping my crewel wools in an organised way – the blue one holds my blues and greens…..didn’t realise I had so many shades and hues of green until I could see them all. The red one holds yellows, oranges, pinks and reds, plus a few purples. I have another, much older one, made possibly 25 years ago that will hold the neutrals and browns. I did my first Crewel class about then when I worked part-time in a needlework shop in Hawthorn, and also took most of my small wage home in supplies rather than cash. They wools look wonderful, and it will be so much easier to choose colours in future. I’m half way through my Crewel classes, but still have a heap of stitching to do. I shall post some photos when there is something worth sharing.
In the meantime, as if I don’t already have enough on my plate, Jude Hill’s Cloth to Cloth class is also beginning so I shall probably be burning the midnight oil………