Yesterday we tried marbling – the two methods being oil paints on water, the traditional method, and silk dyes on shaving foam. Of the two, the shaving foam was the easiest and gave the best results. I did not like the other method as much as the result was very disappointing….something to do with the diluted oil paints which were used, and the turpentine smell that was left on the fabric and papers. There is a lot of information about marbling with foam on the web and Youtube, so if interested check it out.
These pieces are practice ones only, to learn the technique and not for any particular purpose. I shall do it again at home as this needs to be a technique used in my textile book.
This is a tray of foam, on which silk dyes have been dropped with a pipette and then gently swirled with a satay stick. Fabric was laid gently on the top, patted to ensure all the fabric was in contact with the foam, left for a few seconds, lifted and allowed to dry. When dry, the dyes were set by steaming. The next photo is of all the scrappy bits of fabric I used, old torn cotton sheeting – in case it all went wrong and good fabric was wasted!
This last one is on a piece of fine silk, where the inks have left a softer edge to the patterns.