I’ve been playing with quilting and shrinking – following some ideas in one of the books mentioned a couple of posts back – June Barnes Stitching to Dye and it seems like a whole lot of fun with great potential. I started with a pieces of cotton fabric with cotton batting between – quilted it all over with cotton thread, and then chucked it into a hot machine wash. The piece shrank enough to make the quilting more obvious, but the stitches less so, resulting in a very textured piece. Unfortunately this is just A4 size, not really big enough to use for anything useful, but I still plan to dye it and add more stitching to see how it comes out.
I have also completed my next page in our swap – this one is for Gleny Mann who had chosen the adjective Consequence. Glenys also asked that it be worked in paper, and that any stitching be visable on both sides. Somewhat apprehensive about making something for such a well know textile artist, I found this quite a challenge. I have never done anything with paper before, and stitching it does not leave any margin for error – paper does not heal itself like fabric, so any mistakes were permanent. My choice was to try and represent the consequence from bushfires, given that Victoria was devastated early in February by enormous loss of life and property, but also the regeneration that begins just a few weeks afterwards signifying hope and new beginnings. I don’t think it is my best work, and certainly I am more comfortable working in fabric and fibre.